PARTY PEOPLE REUNION - CHANNEL O/ VUZU AD

Thursday 10 November 2011

DJ - Statik - Interview






















DJ Statik interview for Party People Reunion

DJ Statik aka mr Sonny James took some time out to speak about the Party People Reunion

DJ Statik aka Mr. Sonny James is co-founder of Philadelphia’s most prolific and well-respected DJ/Production crew, Illvibe Collective. He is the official tour DJ for legendary MC Bahamadia and other Philly-based artists, including Hezekiah and Mr. Lif. Famously noted as “your DJ’s favorite DJ,” Statik’s sets have hit popular New York venues like Santos Party House, SOBs and APT.


What wERE your impressionS of South Africa and Party People, WHEN YOU FIRST came here?

I was overwhelmed with how hospitable and welcoming everyone was. I was also blown away by the crowd's knowledge of underground hip hop from the past ten years. It was a pleasant surprise. Party People was such a fun party to play because everyone was in the spot trying to enjoy themselves. I also noticed that the majority of folks I came in contact with were really concerned about my impression of South Africa overall and that we were enjoying our time there.


What did you GAIN FROM THE EXPERIENCE?

I really felt more connected with the international hip hop community and developed a clearer understanding of Africa. The trip gave me much more insight than any textbook. When I got back to the states I couldn't wait to tell other members of the culture that we had so much in common with our fam in SA and encourage everyone to visit at least once.


What DID YOU THINK of SA'S hip hop scene ( the little that you saw )?

I saw that people knew American music and took hip hop culture very serious. It did not appear to be as driven by money and getting famous as it is in the States which to me, allows the whole culture to be fun again.




any expectations for your upcoming trip?

I rarely travel with expectations but for the sake of conversation, I expect the the energy at the shows to be wild. It will be the first time all of the artists will be performing together on the same stage so our excitement will most likely drive the shows. I also expect that less people will ask me what I think about South Africa. Lol


WHAT WULD YOU RECOMMEND TO A FELLOW AMERICAN ARTIST, WHEN PLANNING AN SA TRIP?

I would suggest that they make time to meet the people of SA. And most importantly to travel with an open mind. Often, when we set expectations and try to predetermine what a particular place will be like, we set ourselves up to leave surprised and sometimes disappointed. I would also recommend getting out of the city for a day or two to see the country side, wild life, and breathe some fresh air.


What comeS to minD, when you THINK OF Party People?

I think of a couple thousand people who know their stuff, musically, and really expect the bar to be raised with each party. The PP brand represents integrity and forward thinking and i assume the crowd expects nothing less from the performers.


SHOULP PEOPLE ANTICIPATE ANY SURPRISES IN YOUR NEXT PARTY PEOPLE PERFORMANCE?

They can expect me to be precise on the turntables, Bahamadia will rap extremely well, and our energy will be up for the entire performance. Also they'll hear some new songs.


For more on DJStatik aka Mr Sonny James


http://flavors.me/mrsonnyjames

No comments:

Post a Comment